Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Oh, Victoria

Hola. Firstly, if my thought go wildly besirk, I blame my newly moisturized legs that cause my computer to be sliding all over the place and the distracting ad man on Spotify. Continuing right along, then! Ah this book, maybe it was the fact that it was my first novel of the summer, but I ate this book up. Suspense of any kind kills me, and all an author has to do is keep switching between the past and the present to keep my eyes firmly glued to the page. I loved the idea of the language of the flowers. I am such a sucker for stuff like that! I love meanings, and I thought it was so interesting how everything had a meaning. I think it also appealed to me because I love it when someone is so good at one thing. I think I am fine with being a well-rounded person who doesn't have one, all-consuming passion, but I find people that do facinating. I liked how when Victoria was working with flowers in the shop, or talking about flowers, she turned into someone entirely different, and as much as she was buried in her guilt, she couldn't guilt or pity her way out of her passion for the language of the flowers. It was something she was good at without trying. She had so many issues. Like, SO many. The foster care system makes me so sad, and kids who end up like her. For the people who are successful foster-parents and the kids who get adopted happily, it's awesome, but I feel like it is very realistic that some kids end up like her- jaded, angry, closed down, and convinced there is something distinctly unloveable about her. That was the part that made me sad, and made me sympathize with her. She was such a PUNK, but I think it was the little tid-bit about the foster mom who made her eat frozen peas, and starved her, or the family who made her sleep outside when she was 5. I understand the feeling of wanting to push people (like Elizabeth) who don't seem like they could love you, just to make sure they do. As for themes...oh boy, I was never good at this in school. Part of me wants to say forgiveness. or second chances (or in her case, like 550th chance). But then again I don't know, it's a tough one. I agree with you, Em, in that it was frusterating how everyone just kept trying to help, and love her, and she kept pushing people away. Also, pet peeve, it drove me crazy how the guy always cooked for her, and she never said thank you, she never learned how to cook, and she never did anything for him. Also, the low point for me was when she gave up on breastfeeding, and then dropped Hazel off at the dad's house. At that point I almost threw down the book. But then it turned out ok, I was just ready to wring her neck. Overall, it was a worthwhile book in that it made me think, and I love that we have this book club, and this blog, so that I can actually be help accountable to finish a book (i am like you in that, Em!), and then to process my thoughts on it. Claire, i know what you mean about the yellow roses! I had the same thought, I was like "hey, no, they mean friendship!" but i agree, stick to your definition! I seriously thought about copying down the whole back index of the book for the flowers meanings, though, i just think it's SO COOL. I want to give people secret messeges in flowers now.

No comments:

Post a Comment